March 22, 2012

Dr. Switchyswappy

Well, I've done it. I've already switched pediatricians. I've been thinking it over since Scarlett was just one month old. I just had this instinct about another doctor within the same practice. One that I'd met while I was in the hospital recovering from my C-section. She was so wonderfully sweet and had such an authenticity about her. I remember how softly she spoke and how she was always smiling and complimenting the baby. Treating her with that little 'specialness' that I'd hoped for. It stuck with me.

The doctor that I had chosen was perfectly nice; she did nothing to offend me. But I felt that her relationship with Scarlett was a very general one. There was nothing special about it. No wonderful remarks, no compliments, nothing in particular that might have set this relationship apart from the hundreds of others she keeps. It was always strictly business. First, the typical questions to make sure Scarlett was hitting all of her marks. Then the Q&A which was always very broad and I was left to google the majority of my uncertainties. And I realized that if I didn't ask it - it wasn't being discussed. We do receive a sheet of generic guidelines for the upcoming months but I feel like I need to get a little more out of each visit. I am hoping the new doctor will be more descriptive and informative.

I'm guessing it might sound unrealistic to want this magical doctor experience since Scarlett is barely six months old. But as a new mom I want her to have the best she can if it's in my power to make it so. I want her to be in the best of company as long as I am the one making those decisions. Most importantly, I want to be sure that I'm leaving every doctor's appointment with the knowledge and satisfaction that we deserve.

Hope I don't pass the old doc in the hall ... awkwarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to add? Leave me a comment...