July 2, 2013

trigger songs from the 80's...

I'm always mentioning how I love that certain songs can conjure up such vivid memories. Today I thought I'd share ten of my favorites - (memories, not songs) and we'll go with an 80's theme. Enjoy!

Faithfully, Journey: This song was on a mixed tape that I listened to while on a flight to Disney World. I remember staring out at the clouds so anxious to just get there and start enjoying time with my family. We'd been through the ringer that year and my father had won the trip in a contest he found in USA Today. (Miracles do happen).

You Give Good Love, Whitney Houston: Ridiculous as it may sound, I was convinced this was my "good luck song." Maybe twice while listening to it a family friend called to invite my family over to use the pool which is exactly what I had been hoping for. The song was in heavy rotation on 92 Pro FM - but it couldn't have been a coincidence, right?

Doin' It All For My Baby, Huey Lewis: My family and my godparents' family went in on a beach house the year this song was popular. (Can you believe this song was ever popular?) We had an absolute blast. I remember that musty-ass smell throughout the house, "the funky chair" the week-long sleepover feeling, my godfather's ridiculous sunburn which rivaled John Candy's burn in Summer Rental, long days on the beach, going to see Adventures in Babysitting... it was a week none of us will ever forget. Or was it two weeks? Guess I forgot.

Breakout, Swing Out Sister: This is actually my least favorite song in the world. That's including TV show theme songs and various anthems sung heinously by that guy at the hockey games. This song was playing while I was forced into a wallpaper store by my parents one evening. It may have only been twenty minutes but I'm pretty sure it was closer to nine hours. I really would've rather done my math homework.

The Flame, Cheap Trick: Being driven to and from basketball practice on Friday nights. What? You're surprised I'm not in the WNBA????

Dress You Up, Madonna: My friend Kim, my basement, various outfits, various dance routines. Singing at the top of our lungs. And I had this amazing light pink sleeveless shirt with the image of "80's-cool" Madonna on it. It was the bessssssssssssst!

No Easy Way Out, Robert Tepper: Staring out the rear window of a friend's parents' car driving away from the theatre where we'd just seen Rocky IV. Man, I love that movie! DRAGGGGOOOO!!!!

I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Whitney Houston: This video shows Whitney at her greatest, with a long curly wig and outfits and makeup to die for (in the 80's of course). I remember dancing around my living room just wishing I could look that cool...


Manic Monday, The Bangles: Playing 'Hotel' in my old bedroom. My dad gave me outdated schedule planners from his secretaries and I thought they were the coolest thing ever. Kim came over and we taped room numbers to the three doors in my room, used old sets of keys to hand out to the 'guests' and an old phone to schedule arrangements - all which would be written in the planners of course. So fun!

Little Red Corvette, Prince: This was my absolute favorite song when I was around five or six. I remember my dad taking me along on errands and stopping at this little store called Blueberry Hill for some Country Time Lemonade. Mmmm.

This post was so fun for me ... I may have to do more installments in the future. 
 What songs transport you to 'the good old days' ??   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to add? Leave me a comment...