March 13, 2012

Old Lady Leach

It's happened.

I've become that angry old lady on the block. You know the one who glares out the window at the street kids riding their bikes, making sure they aren't in her driveway about to clip her twelve year old Honda with their handlebars. The one who rushes out onto the front stairs, clad in slippers and pajamas yelling sternly at the jerks to stop taunting her dog. Yep. That's me now. I'm her. I'm Old Lady Leach. Sigh.

Well, it's not my fault. I was thrown into this situation, really. We moved here over five years ago and each year it's gotten worse. As the cul-de-sac kids get older they apparently get douchey-er. And they're not like Dennis the Menace douchey. I'd kill to have a good-hearted little blondie who accidentally mowed over my flowers (we don't have flowers) with his wagon while trying to catch a "robber". Instead we have this gang of little bastards that I on occasion have wished harm upon.  That's right. HARM. Think all the less of me you like - YOU try living here.

The ringleader is appropriately enough the worst one and a complete prick. He's about thirteen I'd guess, scrawny, pants hanging off his ass, ALWAYS on his phone - riding his bike with one hand and texting with the other. He thinks he is the epitome of cool. I will assure all of you - he is not. He feels that the neighborhood is his kingdom. Running into everyone's yard, jumping on fences, spray-painting fences, leaping off front porch railings etc. Never in his own yard, mind you. Then there are his cronies. Because every little prick has to have a cronie or two. There are about four regulars who follow him around like he is the Grateful Dead. They'll do anything he does, says or tells them to do. I watch as they follow almost directly in his footsteps. They are all younger by about two to four years. Then there is this GIRL. And I put the word in capitals because I want to emphasize my disgusted voice while saying it. She appeared out of nowhere at the house across the street about two years ago. We have no idea who she is but she sucks. She's about fourteen and a rotten, rotten witch. Last week she sat in the car in her driveway for about forty-five minutes while the elderly lady/car owner screamed "GET OUTTA THE CAAAAAARRRR" in her less-than beautiful voice. That was such a zen moment for me.

My least favorite activity these freakshows play is "Let's torment Brody". Because my dog clearly doesn't bark enough. He's a German Shepherd/Akita mix. He likes to bark at people that are too near our house, he's a bit protective that way. Hence the sign...


Brody is not a mean dog, he's friendly and adorable, but for obvious reasons we bought the sign. I've caught the kids barking at him before - not a big deal. I don't like it but I understand, they're kids. They're a little old for it, but whatever. Then I caught them taunting him. Yelling at him. And a couple of weeks ago, the ringleader actually cursed a web of profanity at him and then ran up into our yard and jumped onto our chain-link fence - the fence that Brody was behind. While Bro was going ballistic I ran out into the front yard like a snapped lunatic and shouted "You need to knock it off, leave the dog alone!" (Sounds so hilarious to picture but I was shaking and ready to beat someone's ass). They looked at me, in their cool little gang, didn't bat an eyelash, didn't make a sound. Gradually during the following ten minutes they filed into another neighbor's yard. No apology, no whispers, no 'go shit in your hat', nuthin. I was livid.

Yesterday a similar situation went down. The GIRL across the street was standing directly in front of our house dancing around and shouting at Brody to get him to bark. Naturally he did. She then started barking back at him and yelling at him to shut up. After watching her shout and curse at my dog for a couple of minutes I threw open the front door and yelled at her, "You need to STOP yelling at my dog!" She and her friend walked away and I saw her throw her head back laughing. Funny, right? I could have nailed her chubby ass to her tree in that moment. BUT I cooled off in my recliner... wishing that we could sell this house and move. No peace. No peace here whatsoever. And the fact that the parents just don't give a shit crawls right up my spine.

I cannot imagine being a child and disrespecting my neighbors - my mother would have grounded me for weeks. If I saw cars in the driveway I wouldn't set foot on the grass never mind in the driveway or on their FENCE! I would have apologized up and down and been a mortified nervous wreck if a neighbor came out and yelled at me. I am appalled by what the world is coming to. Where are these parents? It's a small street! Lord knows I can hear everyone's fights and tantrums - I KNOW you can hear me shouting at your children after they torture my dog. Get with it, people. I'm putting this sign up tomorrow...

  

6 comments:

  1. Oh man. I would have totally called the cops. If you don't scare them off, maybe a little exposure to the local police may. Sorry you have to put up with that crap, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's beyond frustrating... and next time I am going to call the cops. I've warned them three times... I figure that's more than plenty. Although the cops don't exactly scare kids like this - they'll get a laugh out of it and then bust up my car I'm sure. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Oh Sheri, this really sucks. I don't know what to tell you to make things better but I will tell you that I have dealt with similar situations at my house. I am the nutty neighbor that is brave enough to say something to any of them. Noone else has said boo, while I have ran out of my house spouting vulgarities and carrying a huge mag-lite flash light. I have had to argue with the wacko that swears at my 7 lb dog for barking even though they only go outside when they NEED to. I have argued with the lunatic that thinks the neighborhood is his Sanford & Sons junkyard and I have had to argue with the kid that was twirling a batton that was on fire on both ends 2 feet from my house. Yep, we live in hell! I hope it gets better. Living in Warwick is NOT what I expected when we purchased in this quiet neigborhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Jenn! This street looked so nice, quaint, quiet, nicely kept yards. We chose this area for the quick distance to the highway. But I'd rather live ten miles from the highway than have to deal with these people. It truly ruins our quality of life. Can't enjoy open windows or dinner on the deck because someone is always blaring bass or screaming/fighting. You'd think we bought a shack in the ghetto. So unfair. Hope your situation gets better too, and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. *sigh* yeah, don't you love it? First of all, let me say I LOVED THIS POST. Loved it. Expletives included just made it that much more fun to read because that's exactly how we feel! The teens in my block (a dead end block mind you that I don't have an alternate route in which to enter), love to stand in the middle in the street in the summer and if they see your car coming, do you think they move? No. Of course not. Because they feel they have the right of way. God forbid you should honk your horn as I did one time and the block psycho (me not knowing it was him) came with face raging right up to my car ready to bully/scare me out of my wits. He did but not a word was said. When he saw my husband sitting on the passenger side staring him down, he backed off. Yeah, did I tell you I'm married to a Clint Eastwood, limited in words but go ahead, make his day type of fella. Gee, it's good to have testosterone around when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, thank you so much for stopping by... I loved your comment haha, it really is such a similar scenario and it SUCKS. These kids are BARELY teens and I have a feeling I'm going to be in for it so much worse over the next few years.

      Sadly, they have made me dread the Spring, Summer and Fall. And come to find out, daylight savings too.

      Thanks again for reading :)

      Delete

Got something to add? Leave me a comment...