January 24, 2013

The Scarlett Letters #12: 16 months

My silly, silly goose...

Sixteen months! Wow! Such a big girl now. Growing more every single second. Taller, stronger, smarter.

You've really come into your own over the past few weeks. Your personality is sparkling. Your laugh, infectious. Your silliness is overwhelmingly awesome. I forgot how fun it is to be silly. Even when we are cracking skulls in your play tunnel (your fault) we are laughing wholeheartedly.




The main focus of our time together is play play play! We play as much as possible. We've given you safe spaces where you can run around like a little maniac with many books, toys, pillows, stuffed animal and blankets to keep you happy. Your attention span is short and you're much like a tornado, moving from one toy to another in just seconds. One of your favorite things to do is to take down your books from your bookcase, one by one, giving each a few quick page turns before tossing them aside. A few of your favorites at the moment are: Baby Happy Baby Sad, Big Little, No No Yes Yes and Yummy Yucky by Leslie Patricelli.


We love to build you tall towers that you promptly destroy. You're not big into your blocks just yet and not quite as fond of stacking objects as you are of demolishing them.


You are a little roughneck. Just like Mama was. When we are chasing you screaming down the hallway only to grab you and throw you down on some pillows you are in your glory. Rolling around on the floor or inside your tunnel - that belly laugh can be heard all over the house. You love to be scared. We love the thrill of scaring you. I often hide in the corner of your room so you'll come barreling toward me with that giant grin that I love so much...


Or I'll surprise the crap out of you when you aren't expecting it ... 


We definitely have our share of fun that's for sure. There is no shortage of happiness in this home. 

Mealtimes can be challenging. I like to give you enough freedom to play with your food so that you'll learn about textures and things but I am kind of a neat freak - so freedom comes with a stopwatch. Your sippy cups are quite possibly causing the gray hairs I've recently found around my temples. I hate them, Scarlett. I hate them all. If they don't leak they overflow. They're too thick or too tall. They have too many frigging pieces for a cup! I can't properly clean them. Tonight you couldn't even get any milk out of yours. After ten minutes of trying to fix them I threw two cups into the garbage can. Game over. We are evolving tomorrow. 

And that's what we do every day. We evolve. Together. You have taught me so many things and continue to do so every single day. You've taught me more about myself in just over a year than I'd learned in thirty years. I'm so happy. I'm now the person I've always wanted to be but never knew it until I met you. I was confused for a long, long time about what happiness meant. But I get it now. I definitely get it. 

"Rest your head close to my heart, never to part, baby of mine..." 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to add? Leave me a comment...